Re: Need help hacking print filter.

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
>
> > echo -e "\033(s1Q" >/dev/lp1
> >
> > You will probably find that the output from ghostscript puts a "\033E" in -
> > a reset - IIRC this will reset the print to letter (non-draft) quality.  I
> > think this calls for sed/awk.
>
> My experience confirms this. I cat your echo string to the front of the gs
> output before sending to the printer, but the output still comes out with
> piles of ink. I'll try the sed approach and replace it, but it would be
> better if gs could deal with this properly. I guess it's time to delve
> deeper into the docs.
>
> Thanks for all the help,

Hi,

in gs-aladdin 5.03 (and probably also in older versions) you can set some
printer-specific parameters from the gs command line: from the file
/usr/doc/gs/device.txt.gz, in the section for the deskjet driver:

COMMAND LINE PARAMETERS:

 Several printer 'properties' have been implemented for these printers.
 Those available so far are all integer quantities, and thus may be
 specified as eg.

        gs -sDEVICE=cdj500 -dBitsPerPixel=32 -dShingling=1 ...

 which sets the BitsPerPixel parameter to 32 and the Shingling parameter
 to 1.

[SKIP]

DESKJET PROPERTIES:

 The additional properties available for the DeskJets are:

        BlackCorrect    (int)     /* Colour correction to give
                                   * better blacks when using the DJ500C
                                   * in colour mode, eg. the default of 4
                                   * reduces the cyan component to 4/5
                                   * Range accepted: 0 - 9 (0 = none) */
        Shingling       (int)     /* Interlaced, multi-pass printing
                                   * 0 = none, 1 = 50%, 2 = 25%, 2 is
                                   * best & slowest */
        Depletion       (int)     /* 'Intelligent' dot-removal
                                   * 0 = none, 1 = 25%, 2 = 50%, 1 best
                                   * for graphics?
                                   * Use 0 for transparencies */

Don't know if this helps...