Re: social contract

From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
> That is better than I had heard, though I would expect to find
> it in /public/ftp/pub/Linux/system/daemons/init. In that directory
> I find sysvinit-2.64.tar.gz, which is what non-debian people are
> most likely to download. It is dated 5Jul96, which is very old.

Could be a Sunsite problem, too.

> This kind of thing tends to look like "screw the rest of the Linux world".

Not our intention. Debian's probably a more complete FTP archive than
Sunsite, and there are around 70 mirrors. All of the source is on every
one of those mirrors at all times. In fact you can go download our
_unreleased_ stuff from most of those mirrors - look under "hamm" for
Debian 2.0 . We also _insist_ that anyone who sells the "Official" CD
ship the source code CD with every unit, and that two-CD set sells for
$4.99 . We aren't hiding anything.

	Bruce

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502