Re: Boot Linux from GRUB? (Was: Boot HURD with lilo?)

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> On 19 Nov 1997, Steve Dunham wrote:
>
> > adavis@netpci.com (Alan Eugene Davis) writes:
> >
> > > Is it possible to boot HURD from LILO?
> >
> > If you put GRUB on the HURD partition.
> >
> > > I seem to have trashed my master boot record during the HURD installation.
> > > SOrry to post this on a Linux list, but I can't find the HURD mailing list.
> >
> > Better would be to boot Linux from GRUB.  It has a nice menu system,
> > and a command line that groks ext2fs.  (You can select a kernel from
> > anywhere on the drive at boot time.)  Moreover, with the Linux
> > patches, you can boot bzimages with it - even on machines (like my
> > laptop) that LILO can't boot bzimages on.
> >
> > (I personally always keep a copy of GRUB on a floppy, so I boot any
> > linux box after trashing the MBR.)
>
> GRUB sounds cool. Could someone make a Debian GRUB package? Or is it
> commercial software (I have no clue)?
>
> Remco

GRUB is GPLed software, so there would not be a problem with the DFSG.
The only real problem is that nobody has spent the time to pack it up.
When GRUB has the patches applied to add bzImage support (check c.o.l.a.
for the post announcing the poatches), it really becomes an ideal
bootloader for Debian -- assuming somebody packages it.  I am too busy
with work right now to do it though...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/