Re: Intent to package: war-ftpd

On Tue, Nov 18, 1997 at 02:12:51PM +0100, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Brian Bassett wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've gotten upstream permission to release a Debian version of War FTP
> > Daemon 1.70 when it is released.  War is a Linux port of the popular Win32
> > FTP daemon.  I'm guessing it'll have to end up in non-free due to the
> > following clause in the license:
> >
> > * This software is NOT TO BE USED by any governmental or mainstream
> > political institutions in any country. The freeware policy does ONLY apply
> > for private individuals and private corporations. The governmental and
> > mainstream political organizations can go and get their software somewhere
> > else. Universities, schools and other public educational institutions can
> > use this software as they wish.
> >
> > As always, comments are appreciated.
>
> Wow, I didn't know there was a Linux port for this! Back when I was using
> Windows rather heavily, WarFTPd was _the_ best ftp server around. And it
> was the only good freeware (well, the Windows kind of free) ftp server.
>
> Of course, the part of the license you quote will force the package to go
> into non-free. Could you perhaps persuade the upstream maintainer to
> remove this clause for at least the Linux port of his program?

This will not be sufficient, because it would prohibit porting to other
machines. It would conflict with the part of the DFSG, where a license may
not discriminate against other platforms/systems/whatever.

Sorry, try to persuade him/her, that it gets real free. Otherwise, non-free
is the place to go.

Thank you,
Marcus

--