Re: Broken symlinks in development packages?

Scott Ellis wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Herbert Xu wrote:
>
> > Carey Evans wrote:
> > >
> > > It's my understanding this happens if the versions of the -dev package
> > > and the main package don't match.
> >
> > Indeed, and that's why you should put the .so link in the lib package
> > and not the dev package.
>
> The .so link is in the -dev package because it is only used by the
> compiler.  If you don't have the -dev package installed, you can't link
> with the library.  It is policy and perfectly correct.

Except if you do this, everytime a new lib release comes out, you'll have to
upgrade your -dev package even if the only change there is the .so link.  This
is stupid IMHO.

Home Page: http://greathan.apana.org.au/~herbert/
PGP Key: http://greathan.apana.org.au/~herbert/pubkey.txt