*-* rescue disk booting problems

I have a client who is having problems getting the rescue disk on the
official CD to boot for him. I remember seeing this identical problem on
the lists recently but can't find the reference and don't remember what
the resolution was.

The rescue disk boots up, loads the root file system, loads the kernel, at
least some of it, and then reboots the machine.

Is this a problem that the tecra patch fixes? (this is an AST laptop)

Does anyone remember what the solution to this problem was? I would really
hate for this guy to go away disapointed ...

Waiting is,

Dwarf