Re: Backspace & Delete

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>:
> Chris Fearnley wrote:
> > I haven't seen a summary of those discussions recently.  Many people
> > like myself cannot subscribe to every important sub-mailing list.  But
> > not only would we appreciate being kept informed of progress.  I might
> > even have a contribution to make from time-to-time!
>
> I dropped by their web site and read their docs. Their basic idea seems to
> be that instead of setting policy on delete should do this, backspace should
> do that, etc (which is just a good way to have yet another flamefest), they
> want to make it easy to edit a single config file and change how every app
> acts. I think that's a great idea!

This is an admirable goal, but it will be some time before it can be
implemented.

In the meantime I think we should implement for backspace and delete
the proposal that I wrote up some time ago.  I believe it solves
nearly all the problems we're currently having with backspace and
delete - leaving only interoperability with `incompatible' systems,
terminals &c as a potential problem.  It received widespread support
at the time.

Has it been made policy yet ?

I shall send a copy to debian-policy.

Ian.