x locking vs. ssh

I put together a little script for myself to do the right thing when
starting Xnest from a menu. Basically, it traverses /tmp/.X*-lock
counting up from 1 until it finds something that kill -CONT reports as
no such pid, then it runs Xnest on that display, and execs Xsession in
that display.

Now, the problem is ssh.  Unfortunately, when ssh creates its
virtual server, it doesn't create a lock file.

I'd like to presume that this is an ssh bug.  However, the more I
try and twist my head around X, the more I question my underlying
assumptions about what's right.

Is this a bug?  Should I report it as such?  Is there a better way?

Thanks,

--
Raul