pax being DFSG

>On Sat, Nov 8 1997 4:32 +0100 Richard Braakman writes:
>> David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch>:
>>   pax-2.1-3
>I've already filed a bug report on ftp.debian.org that pax is not
>DFSG-compliant and should be removed.
>
>[Recap:
> Licensing
>
>    Copyright (c) 1989 Mark H. Colburn.
>    All rights reserved.
>
>    Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
>    provided that the above copyright notice is duplicated in all such
>    forms and that any documentation, advertising materials, and other
>    materials related to such distribution and use acknowledge that the
>    software was developed by Mark H. Colburn.
>
>    THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
>    IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
>    WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
>This means that I'm not allowed to *change* the source code. I've already
>got a bug report that pax dumps core when fed with a .tar.gz file...
>
>pax currently compiles on a hamm (although you get warnings even without
-Wall),
>so I could recompile and upload it into contrib if this is really wanted.
>Opinions?

Personally I think you misunderstood it.  It seems very BSD like to me.
Also, considering that PAX is needed according to posix, and the MLS-CMW
machines we used at work, had spax (a secure version of pax, which knows
about security labels, is an obviously modified version of pax) I think it's
allowed.  But then again this is all conjecture. :)

shaya