Re: PostgreSQL - proposed package

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Is the idea that if one element of the whole thing needs something that
> the rest don't, and is separable from the rest, that it ought to be made
> a separate package?  That would make the TCL, Java, Perl and C/C++ interfaces
> four separate packages. (I am combining C and C++, seeing that the C++
> interface depends on the C one, and does not depend on anything external,
> except g++, of course.)

As I guess this packages will be very popular, I would suggest to
make them as granular as possible, to fit our users very different needs.

> There's a lot of scope for other add-ons; there are a number of extras such as
> ODBC and so on which could be added in the future.

Do they depend on a particular version of the main sources?
Perhaps they can be added as independent packages, as the kernel add-on
modules (ntfs, awe32, ...)

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna