Re: New ip-up (Was: Re: REQ ip-up: run-parts /etc/ppp/up )

Hello,

On Nov 1, Jeff Sheinberg wrote
> I would like to know what else doesn't work besides the `talk' program?
>
> I would venture a guess that what else doesn't work is the BSD rlogin,
> rsh, rexec, etc. programs.  I would also guess that when these programs
> were designed, there was no such thing as dynamic ip addresses.

I think the r-tools work very well with changing adresses, since they dont
build a second connection.

The Problem with using hostname is, that a hostname has nothing to do with
interface addresses (especially not for multi-homed hosts). Therefore the
right solution if a application needs the address of the connection is to to
a getsockname(2) for a connect(2)ed socket instead of the hostname.

> 1) If your X-server is using authentication (true for xdm, and those
> that specify the `-auth' option in .xserverrc with xinit), when the
> hostname is changed, if you try to launch any X client it will fail, due
> to authentication.

Of course this is only true for a remote display, snce local displays are
always named ":0" with the UNIX Domain Socket.

Instead of changing the hostname it is better to change the ip which is
assigned to the hostname. In any case this should only be done if it is
switched on in a configuration file.

Anyway.. if no configuration will be checked, changing the name should only
happen for PPP connections which have assigned the default-route...

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wittumstrasse13.76646Bruchsal.de --