Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 2.0

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Michel LESPINASSE wrote:

> the FHS 2.0, published yesterday, is meant to obsolete the FSSTDN 1.2,
> that was used until then.
>
> The FHS homepage is at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
>
> Some important additions of the new standard includes /usr/share for all
> architecture-independant data (like /usr/share/doc, /usr/share/man, etc),
> /var/cache, /var/state .....
>
> Is there a plan to upgrade debian's packages so that they are compliant to
> this new standard ? Will the final hamm release be FHS 2.0 compliant ?
>
> I didnt see any discussion of this on the debian lists. The only clue
> I have now is that Ian Murdock is in the contributors list of the standard
> :)   (as well as Ian Jackson and probably a few others)

We had some discussion about this on debian-policy right after FHS was
released.  The basic consensus was that attempting to be FHS complient for
hamm would delay the release unacceptably, since basically all packages
are affected.  I believe we'll be revisiting FHS compliance after hamm is
out the door.

Note that this is a major update, as all packages need to be revised to
use /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man.  It also creates some major issues
for mail delivery (how do you cooridnate moving /var/spool/mail to
/var/mail?  What do you do if /var and /var/spool are different
partitions?  What do you do if /var/spool/mail is a different partition?)
and for package management (how do you move dpkg's state from /var/lib to
/var/state?  without breaking it?)

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/