Re: mentors for new maintainers

Igor Grobman wrote:

> Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
> > A place where a new-maintainer can feel supported, where instead I
> > see that debian-devel badly accepts those recurrent threads.
>
> I like your idea, but I still think having individual mentor is
> better.

Yes it is, but ... who volunteers?
I remember Bruce posting a request for this more then once and after
several months nothing have moved.

The problem IMO is that a lot of people can help on a list, where you
can post and following a thread if you have time, but follow a new
developer is a ... full time job.
And also I don't feel myself in the position of answering _all_
questions that can come. I feel sure that I can aanswer some, but maybe
what I say is not well fitted on that particular problem (every package
is on its own side). So on a list I can be corrected by someone with
more experience than me, and this is ok.
For example I hadn't ever made a library package, and now I've packaged
my liblockdev (I'm the upstream maintainer, so I had to :-). I still
feel unsecure of having done right and I would like to post newbie
questions on a friendly list ...

> If you don't know the answer, you can always post to debian-devel :-).

That's not that. I think that a problem has more that one right
solution, and on a list you can have "the solution" while with a mentor
you should stay only with that one.
Debian is an effort completely organized on lists. If you are shy about
posting to lists, you should breth deeply and jump. A frendly list could
be the best place to start.

> Volunteers?

I don't know what I'll do tomorrow, how can I take such a engagement?

Fabrizio