Re: tcp wrapper

Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> I think Tim asked about tcp wrappers a bit ago (sorry, already deleted
> it).  The hosts_options man page has details on the severity option so you
> can change the logging of each line in your hosts.allow|deny (I know this
> can be tedious).  E.g.:
>
> 1) add the /var/log/tcpd.log
> 2) edit /etc/syslog.conf and add a local0
> 3) restart syslogd
> 4) edit /etc/hosts.allow|deny
>
> in.telnetd:ALL: severity local0.notice: spawn (/usr/sbin/safe_finger @%h \
>  | /usr/bin/mail -s "telnet from %h" bhmit1): ALLOW
>
> Note, this is overlogging in my opinion, but I prefer ssh over telnet, so
> a bit of mail never hurts either.

This is exactly what I needed to know. On the machines (other than
Debian) I've built tcp wrappers on, I always log to local0. I never
knew you could do it from within hosts.allow|deny!

Thanks,
Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
       "It is a damned poor mind indeed that can't think of at