adaptec aha2842 vlb

I am attempting to install my first version of Debian, or any flavor of Linux, and the kernel panics every time it tries to initialize the adaptec aha2842 vlb scsi card.  I used the suggestions in the help screens but I'm not sure if I'm typing them correctly.  I type "linux aic7xxx=no_reset".  This seems to have no effect on the way the board initializes. I'm not sure about the 'no_reset' part or any of it for that matter.  I tried using different base-io addresses and had no luck with that.  Help?!?!  I'm sorta lost...