Re: New Package: spamdb 0.1 (source all)

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>   Christoph>  It was announced on debian-devel-changes. Why another
>   Christoph> announcement on debian-devel?
>
> You still don't get it.
>
> *Before* you do work on a package, you should announce as a 'statement of
> intent to start work on a package' to avoid duplication before it
> happends. If it is after the fact, it does not help anyone.

I must say that I feel uncomfortable with this policy too, though
perhaps for different reasons.

If I announce my "intent to start work on a package", that implies a
commitment to actually do so.  I am not ready to make that commitment
until after I am sure that I can actually handle the package.  I won't
know that until I am done packaging it.

Richard Braakman