Re: * Formal call for the removal of Bruce Perens *

On Oct 25, dc <psycho@paranoia.com> wrote:
> It is time for Bruce Perens to step down form the leadership position, and an
> interim leader take his place until a new leader can be chosen at the formal
> election.

I disagree.

I was going to try to answer point-by-point, but I realized that I've
skipped enough threads containing Dave Cinege e-mails that I really
can't honestly say I *know* as *fact* what has been going on between
Dave and Bruce.

I will say that as multi-year observer and member of Debian, I've been
generally happy with how Bruce has handled things (and Ian M. before
that). If I wasn't, I would have quit. I've not always agreed, but
that's part of being a member of a large group: you're not always going
to get your way. Observation of various volunteer groups leads me to
conclude that any group that doesn't have a leader with final authority
is going to eventually turn into a large noise generation apparatus,
incapable of producing any coherent product. If one disagrees with that
leader, then one leaves.

Sadly, I can't bring myself to send this without including few
inflamatory remarks. I'm sure that Dave will interpet them as syncophant
groveling to Bruce; but maybe Dave'll see that Bruce has enough
syncophant grovelers that he'll give up and go away.

>  Again, one can only infer bad intentions by his lack of response.

One can also infer that Bruce is tired of wasting his time responding
to you, because you seem to have an agenda that appears to have no
relationship to reality or what most of the other contributing members
of Debian want.

> Bruce has stated he owns this project, and has taken it upon himself
> who he will allow and not allow to participate in it. (Myself being
> one of those who is banished)

Because you didn't contribute anything accept noise and dissent. I've
yet to see Bruce refuse to allow someone to work on Debian, who actually
had something to contribute.

> If Bruce really cares about the free and open future of the Debian
> Project, he will cede his position immediately. Much (private)
> discussion has gone on about forming a new distribution based on how
> the old Debian used to be.

The way the "old" Debian used to be, for those of use who were actually
there, was that a group of technically compentent people discussed
a topic, came to conclusion (possibly unanimous, often not), and
proceeded. Those who "lost" an argument accepted the decision and went
on: they didn't whine about it forever. What we have now is a successful
group that draws people who can't stand a successful group that doesn't
meet their very particular standards.

> This is my last attempt at my inclusion and 'fixing' the Debian
> distribution, and if it does not succeed I (and others with
> discontent) will turn my efforts to that.

The Debian distribution doesn't need 'fixing', and I really hope that
you keep your promise about this being the last time.

Bruce: Don't back down to this paranoid jerk. Just hope he goes away.

Steve Greenland

--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream

			    "Gee... these guys really ARE impervious!"
[The Badger vs. demon bike gangs from Hell.  Guess who wins?]