Re: User-contrib, up-to-date stable

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> We can't understand why you would want to upload packages to
> a third party site that will never have the full trust of Debian or its
> users instead of going through the simple procedure of becoming a
> Debian developer. Please reconsider.

Bruce,

You are missing the fact that Debian only has two distributions
 - stable and unstable.

Paul wants something in-between.  There is a need for that.

You want him to become a developer, and upload updated packages to
stable.

But that would be wrong, since the stable distribution (as it
stands now) can't accept large changes and a quicker release
schedule because we don't have the testing and release mechanisms
in place.  Putting those in place is difficult, since the bulk
of the developers run unstable.

So there needs to be a separate effort than the unstable
development effort to pull off a "up-to-date stable"
distribution.  Developers would have to declare whether they
are able to support the "up-to-date stable" distribution,
the "unstable" distribution, or both.  Some developers can
support both, many can't.

And this has to be separate from our normal "stable", since you
have already committed to people (book publishers, etc.) that
you won't be changing the version numbers for stable (except
for the revision number).

It's not really fair to attack Paul in this manner if you are
not also willing to change the way Debian operates and organize
a third in-between distribution.

Cheers,

 - Jim