PAM in 2.0? (was: PAM support in Samba)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:

> I like the idea of PAM a lot: moving all authentication-related code into
> libraries. It makes it easier for a system administrator to implement an
> authentication policy. Providing PAM support can be a major operation, and I
> admit I haven't looked into the technical issues yet. Given that Red Hat has
> been PAMified for some time now, I think that PAM is mature enough. If we
> move to PAM, this might be an opportunity for integrating PAM support
> upstream (I don't have the impression that Red Hat worked on this).

Another thing that should be injected here is the issue of other
architectures.  For some reason (yet to be determined), any type of
PAM-based authentication fails miserably on the Alpha right now under
Debian.  It compiles cleanly, but fails to even revert back to standard
authentication styles.  From the looks of RedHat's AXP mailing list,
they've had spotty results with PAM and Alphas also.

I have no clue what other problems might or might not exist on other
architectures like PPC or Sparc (any status report has slipped by me
somehow).

> Maybe. I'd like to see if there is some concencus on PAM; if there is, it
> should go into the policy.

My personal feeling is that PAM should be a goal, but not a requirement
for 2.0 release.  I guess I just feel that it's not as mature as most
people think, nor is it easily ported apparently.  If other architectures
have problems with it (right now, I can only speak for Alpha), then I feel
it would be disadvantageous to PAM-ify only the x86 release and not the
rest.  In that case, it would probably be better to just hold off on PAM
until we can shake out the problems throughout for consistency's sake.

That's just MHO, so....take with as many grains of salt as you'd like.

Chris
 Christopher C. Chimelis          chris@classnet.med.miami.edu
 Systems Supervisor
 Division of Biomedical Communications