Re: User-contrib, up-to-date stable

davidw@cks.com (David Welton) writes:

> It seems as if part of the reason why many people seem to desire a
> redhat style contrib is so that stable can be kept up-to-date.

Right!  It is inacceptable to have to rely on slightly outdated
software when running a system which has to stay reasonably stable and
you do need this new version of package xyz existing in 'hamm'.  But
you can't upgrad it with libc6 packages without taking a certain risc.
In the end one has to build the current stuff on his own anyway if
there is no official solution.  Sometimes it seems to work with
sources from 'unstable' but sometimes not.

> I think a 'current' distribution would be an excellent addition to Debian.

Yes, definitely!

> This would accomodate those who want up-to-date software, but who
> don't want to go changing the core pieces of their system.

Perfectly reasonable!

> Recently at work I have had to install apache, msql, postgresql 'by
> hand'.  I probably will have to do the same with the gimp, and am
> not sure what to do about perl, as the profiler doesn't seem to
> function with the version in stable (it wants 5.004).

I needed apache-1.2.4 and compiled from original sources making my own
crude package. But it works.

> With the exception of perl, these could all be upgraded quite nicely
> in a 'current' release.  They are packages that are probably
> something someone interested in total stability would leave alone,
> but someone who is doing non-critical work would like to have recent
> versions of.

The sources for perl-5.004 provided in 'hamm' seem to build and run
fine on 'bo' FYI.
                         Thanks for your comment, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de