Re: policy on editor/pager support

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Scott Ellis wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > > Still doesn't handle what happens if they go away.
> >
> > How does /usr/bin/editor do any better? It can "go away" just as easily?
>
> Talking about the EDITOR and PAGER variables going away, not the program
> they refer to (which is the admin's fault)

And I'm asking why is the EDITOR variable "going away" any different than
/usr/bin/editor "going away" as well. /usr/bin/editor is claimed to be
superior to the EDITOR variable in this reguard. I just don't see it.
The EDITOR variable is under the control of the system administrator,
while the /usr/bin/editor is created/controled by one or more packages.
BTW, I assume that /usr/bin/editor is actually a symlink to the
appropriate item in /etc/alternatives. How is this link any more
"guaranteed" than a provided default value for EDITOR?

I appologize if I seem "argumentative". It is not my intent.

Waiting is,

Dwarf