Re: fakeroot a solution for multi-architecture building?

joost witteveen <joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> True, but at least then the package isn't uploaded yet.
> The (admittedly not very big) difference is that the developper may/should
> notice the breakin (OK, that may be difficult), and, after he found his
> system was corrupted, he can at least distrust his debian sources.

For that, you want someone to administer the auto-porting machine...

> > The solution is auditing, of course. If someone runs packages in a
> > quarantine area, and notes (and reports) any unusual behavior, that
> > would be a good thing (and not too hard to implement). The more and more
> > varied these quarantine are, the better.
>
> And they should all have system names like "picard.cistron.nl" and have
> excactly the same HD's installed as picard etc. _If_ I'm ever going
> to attac in a way like that, I'm gonna make sure the package I build
> checks for the hostname (and some hardware things) of the host I want
> to "rm -rf /".

Gotta cover all the bases, though.  If some program wants to send
regular updates to eddie.berkeley.edu, somebody ought to notice.
[Note: I forgot to mention that, of course, the quarantine system
must excercise the code.]

> > Finally, it would be good to have a *simple* program to compare
> > binaries.  This way, independently generated binaries could
> > be held up against each other.  I believe this is an unmet need.
> > [Anything based on libbfd doesn't qualify, I suspect.]
>
> This I wholehartedly agree with. (Although I'm not sure the programme
> has to be simple, just dinstall only accepting a .deb+.changes if
> there are at least some number, and then checking with whatever
> library it wants to see if the binaryies/scripts/files are identical
> would be a good thing).

It has to be simple because of an issue I mentioned in a paragraph
you choose not to quote (If no one understands the source to the
program, it's not secure): Simple programs are much more secure
than complex programs.

--
Raul