Re: Packaging helpers (Re: debstd-like tool for those who don't want to use debmake)

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 1997 20:21:11 BST Vincent Renardias (vincent@waw.com)
> wrote:
>

> > On 23 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >
> > > 	If people are still interested, I could either polish my
> > >  efforts with the help of deb-helper, or put it somewhere for others
> > >  to develop it further.
> >
> > IMHO, 3 packaging helpers (debmake, joey's & yours) are 2 too many!
> > I love to have the choice between several softwares when it comes to www
> > browsers, mailers, etc... But for something as critical as our packaging
> > system, each developper should not have to choose between N+1 helpers. It
> > will only make things more complicated for developpers.
>
> IMHO, one is already too much. I hate loosing visibility on what debian/rules makes.
> Having said that, getting a packagin helper that builds a skeleton debian/rules might be good.

That's why I'm in favour of having a helper use automake (or whatever
else) generating a debian/rules file. Inserting a script in debian/rules
that does everything itself is IHMO not the Right Thing(tm).

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -