Re: RPM (Was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

(Someone else)
> > strictly from a "user's" point of view, the first time i ran 'dselect'
> > i found it to be one of the most confusing and non-intuitive interfaces
> > i've ever encountered.

> There are certainly a lot of users or ex-users who feel exactly as you do.
> This is what bothers me, and why I bring this issue up frequently.

 	I am a new package maintainer. Not a computer pro or tradesman. Alot I
dont know.
	I have installed a several slackwares a few  redhats and a
half a dozen debians. I prefer debian.
	Maintainers may forget what curves dselect can throw you. I have
seen "works" used to describe it in this thread, this is not entirely
correct.  I did an install a few weeks ago. It was smooth. Just type + on
what you want and then it goes.
	But if you make some kind of mistake, which is quite easy,  you
get 'too many errors' and it quits and the neophyte may not know at all
what to do.  If you are courageous you will run dselect several times
again watching it 'skip packages' and repeatedly unpack the same packages,
not knowing how to use dpkg (never heard of it perhaps) to go fix the
offending packages. I am not quite a neophyte , and I find it frustrating.
	It is nearly impossible to overestimate the importance of having
robust installing software. It ought to be the most important issue
right now. You know that for their first time, many will use ease of
installation as their sole criterion in choosing.
	Another note: a few months ago, I tried a few redhat installs for
myself and friends. Nice if you are lucky. Again, if you make a mistake,
god help you.  Maybe its better now.

	Where Debian excels: Out of all the boot disks I've tried, the
debian boot/rescue is the best by far.  It allows one to easily switch
between idiot and expert modes. It can be simple if you want it, but
powerful if you know what to do.

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>