Re: Rational for debian group accounts

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Branden Robinson wrote:

> I used to think usergroups were lame as well until I finally read the
> rationale somewhere (I think in some Red Hat documentation).  We should
> more explicitly spell this out in our own docs.

Could you please refer me to the relevant redhat docs?  Hopefully an url?
I understand groups somewhat, but Im certainly not a power user of groups.

Right now I use groups to give users access to certain classes of
programs, or even to individual programs, on a case by case basis.  Is
this the correct way to use groups?  Am I missing something?

> administrator.  But with usergroups added to that (automatically with
> adduser), you get finer granularity of control within the multi-user group.

Yes, I am very curious why every user needs their own "group"...

TIA

Jonathan Walther
http://www.linuxos.org/