Re: Elf-x11r6lib in packages

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:16:54 PDT Jim Pick (jim@jimpick.com) wrote:

> I am wondering if it is really a bug for packages such as netscape3,
> netscape4, and jdk1.1-* to have a dependency against xpm4.7?  They
> contain binary files (against libc5) that we can't recompile.

Well, everything happens fine because the soname is the same, it's
just the debian (installer) package which should mention the right
dependency.

> Otherwise, anybody running 'stable' who wants the netscape or the jdk
> packages is going to try to grab them out of 'unstable', and screw up
> there system.

Well, packages from unstable are not guaranteed to work out of the
box on a stable system. They won't screw up anything, dpkg will tell
them the packages depend on xpm4.

> I think a better approach might be to fix dpkg and xpm4 so that xpm4
> can resolve the versioned dependencies.

Should read "versionned virtual dependencies" :-)

> > 	emacs		     fvwm2               fvwm-common
>
> xdaliclock suffers from this too (I submitted a bug).

I also found jdk1.1-runtime (and opened a bug).

Phil.