Re: xlib6g/xpm4 fun

> how did you break things by installing xlib6g? you should have still
> had the old (or even the new)  libc5 xlib6 around...

Well, I think I upgraded xlib6g and xlib6 at the same time.  So the
libc5 libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib moved to /usr/lib/libc5-compat
(in xlib6), and new libc6 libraries were installed in their place
(in xlib6g).

The apps (fvwm2,emacs,xdaliclock,jdk1.1) that broke
had -rpath /usr/X11R6/lib compiled into them (I think).

These things broke when xlib6g was installed because ld.so ends up
incorrectly linking both libc5 and libc6 libraries (because of the
hard-coded path) when normally it would only link the libc5 libs.

Most things didn't break.  The most annoying app that broke for me was
fvwm2.  It broke when I restarted it.  Fortunately, I figured out the
problem, recompiled fvwm2 for libc6, and it worked.  It would have been
simpler to just patch the binary - but I didn't understand what to do
at the time.

Cheers,

 - Jim