Re: Windowmanager Dependencieproblem

On Tue, Sep 02, 1997 at 10:31:10PM +0200, joost witteveen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> >
> > > I installed a minimal X last week and found that the menus were all
> > > wrong for the windomanager. After installing menu the problem was
> > > solved. Shouldn't the windowmanager suggest menu? I thin none of them
> > > does.
> > >
> > > Should I fill a bug agains every Windowmanager?
> >
> > Does menu work with every window manager?  I was under the impression that
> > it was an fvwm2/fvwm95 thing.
>
> Someone else already mentioned, this, but as far as I know there's only
> one WM menu doesn't support (gwm). All the others (about 10 or so) are
> supported.
>
> The intend certanly was that Window Managers should "Suggest: menu (>= 1.3)".
> (the 1.3 thing is because that allows them to use the new menu-methods
> format, that's mutch nicer/better than the old (still supported) format).

Minor nitpick, but that should be "Suggests: menu", and "Conflicts: menu (< 1.3)".

> > However, I don't want to have to override dselect just because
> > someone else thinks everyone should have menu.
>
> Absolutely. That was one of the main things I had in mind when working
> on menu. A WM not working at all without menu should be reported as
> a bug. Note, however, that some malfunction of the "menu-less" window-manager
> menus should be expected, the maintainer of the WM never knows what
> packages you have installed. So you should expect some buttons not
> to work.

On the subject of this, can menu be extended to handle the "button-bars"
(particularly in afterstep and fvwm95) - at least to only allow certain
items is they are present? (e.g.: xemacs on the afterstep bar, but its
not installed, etc.).