Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> > Why are there two versions, anyway?  Was FSF unaware of our version
> > when they wrote theirs, or did theirs come first?

As I understand it theirs came first, but was very limited and not
suitable for our needs. I don't know why we didn't make the interface
backwards compatible though.

> I agree with your complaints about this, so lets see if something can be
> worked out:
> 1) I believe dinstall-info and install-info have different interfaces, but
>    I'm not sure what is better.  Apparently, installing non-debian
>    packages will result in problems because of our install-info.  I don't
>    know who came first.
> 2) dinstall-info should added immediately, with /usr/sbin/install-info
>    symlinked to it.
> 3) Debian packages should now use dinstall-info (we can give them, say a
>    month).
> 4) Once the month is up, put in the install-info warning I have above.
>    The message can be changed.  The 10 seconds was to give the user enough
>    time to write down the package name for a bug report.  An experienced
>    sys adm can change or remove the script.  If they are installing
>    non-debian packages, they will probably want to point it to
>    /usr/bin/install-info instead.

That doesn't work, because install-info is called from the prerm scripts
of many packages, and you can't expect all our users to upgrade within a
month.