Portable dpkg - paths of utilities (perl and make)

[I am looking into porting dpkg to a non-linux platforms (Solaris and
 IRIX); this is a question that arose in the process.]

The debian policy manual (and, I guess, to some extent FSSTND) is
quite explicit on where to find utilities such as `perl' and `make',
but this will rarely hold on non-linux platforms.

Requiring the target platform to provide perl5 and make under /usr/bin
will not be perceived friendly by many system-administrators who are
used to being able to confine local installations under /usr/local,
leaving /usr to the whims of the vendor.

I do not know if there really is any problem, but perhaps there should
some comments in the policy manual on the subject, for instance asking
that one does not rely on the executability of debian/rules, but
rather use something like `make -f rules <target>', if the (source)
package is supposed to be portable.

Christian Lynbech          | Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Office: R0.32              | Ny Munkegade, Building 540, DK-8000 Aarhus C
Phone: +45 8942 3218       | lynbech@daimi.aau.dk -- www.daimi.aau.dk/~lynbech