Re: Installing from floppies

Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> The following just came up on debian-user earlier today;

There is a sploiner programm for unix, msdos, Amiga and other platforms
as well I think. It's great to split packages on one system and put them
together on another. It can even make a backup disk and with that work
even if one disk is damaged or gone missing. Using it would require the
user to do every package manually.

I'm downloading everything onto disks myself and I make a big tar of
everything I want to take home, split that up and coppy it. At home I
copy it to /tmp and put the files back together. This requires enough
diskspace to hold the packages but one need that anyway to install the
packages later.

Haveing the install running directly from disks is a very bad idea,
cause disk have to many errors.

Maybe ftp clients should be able to split incomming files directly to a
certain size. This would be espezially usefull together with the get
bla.tar option.

May the source be with you.
			Mrvn