Re: logging

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Christian Schwarz writes:
>
> > >  >There is, somewhere it says that programs should log to
> > >  > /var/log/<programname>.log or if they have many log files to
> > > I know that, but my question is: can I use local0 (or another local facility)
> > > for my program? Or should it write directly the logs?
> >
> > What is "local0"? (Never heard of that.)
>
> You have facilities local0 to local7 reserverd for local means.

Ok. If there are only for "local means", I think we should treat them as
we do "/usr/local": we should leave these for the local sysadmin.

Thus, you should either use log files, or use other syslog "facilities"
(daemon, mail, news, etc.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/