Re: non-debian kernels -- bizzar?

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Francesco Tapparo wrote:

> > I agree. The only thingis that prerm should give a prominent warning
> > that user has to make sure there is a replacement kernel before
> > next reboot.
> >

> I don't agree: the newbie often don't read the warnings very carefully, and
> even the normal users can mistake. A package must not put the system in a
> unusable state if dpkg is invoked without the --force option. I think that
> if a user want manage own kernels without kernel-package, he can modify the
> prerm script. Another solution is create a kernel virtual package, and set
> it as required. Every kernel-image-xxx would provide this package. Then you
> can remove the kernel-image packages with the option --force, and a
> newbie would be pretected against mistakes.

I think that if the user doesn't read the messages written in
asterisks and bangs and conraining the words `really sure' and `might
put the system into completely unusable state', that's his own
problem.  I may understand when they are not RTFMing, but this one is
ridiculous.  If you don't know how to read, why should you install
Linux?  Unix has always been for the people who understand what they
do, and if you don't, try other OSes.  Excuse moi if I sound too
BOFHish.

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows...  everything.