Re: boot-time kernel selection and /System.map mismatch

Hi,
>>"Erik" == Erik Andersen <andersen@inconnect.com> writes:

Erik> Yes.  Not just Lilo, but loadlin, chos, GRUB, etc.  The idea
Erik> here is that it is very nice to have a bunch of kernels around
Erik> to choose from.  For instance, when I am doing kernel hacking, I
Erik> need to be able to boot from my testing kernel, and still have a
Erik> stable kernel lying around for when the testing kernel crashes.
Erik> It is also nice to be able to boot from stable (2.0.X) and
Erik> several of the latest unstable kernels to try out new stuff.
Erik> Debian does not support this kind of thing well at the moment,

	Huh? Why do you say that? I have, at the moment, 9 kernels on
 my machine, with two sets of kernel-sources, all handled by
 kernel-package. Have you actually *looked* at kernel-package, before
 making unwarranted statements like this?

	The only thing kernel-package does not currently support are
 multiple kernel images of the same version, and I'm very open to
 suggestions about how this may be accomplished.

Erik> which is why I currently completly bypass Debian kernel
Erik> packaging support.  If Debian installed kernels as

Erik> /boot/linux-2.0.30 /boot/system.map-2.0.30 /boot/linux-2.1.47
Erik> /boot/system.map-2.1.47

	This is precisely what it does. (So you did not look at
 kernel-package before this critique).

Erik> etc. and then behaved correctly by symlinking /system.map and
Erik> /vmlinux on boot with something like:

Erik> ln -s /boot/linux-`uname -r` /vmlinuz
Erik> and
Erik> ln -s /boot/system.map-`uname -r` /system.map

	What exactly uses vmlinux anymore? Older versions of
 kernel-package did carry vmlinux around, but all recent utilities
 understand System.map.

Erik> (This was done without checking corectness, so I might have done
Erik> those wrong.)  This sort of thing would be _much_ friendlier to
Erik> the multiple kernel using crowd (like me), who want to select
Erik> one of many different kernels on boot up.

	I *am* one of the multiple kernel crowd. and I use
 kernel-package. Please let me know how this post was not merely FUD.

	manoj
 miffed
--
 Work Rule: Any employee who smokes Spanish cigars, uses liquor in any
 form, or frequents pool and public halls, or gets shaved in a barber