Re: Should packages depend on cron?

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Bill Mitchell wrote:

> On 23 Jul 1997, Emilio Lopes wrote:
>
> > [...] I forgot to write: the (an)cron jobs
> > cron.daily etc should be run at high nice (6 or so), so that they
> > won't be noticed.
>
> I think someone made the point several days ago that niceing cron
> jobs doesn't do much good if they're disk-intensive, as they tend
> to be.  Niced or not, they'll still clog up the disk-access bottleneck
> and slow down everything else which needs to access the disk.

I asked a while back on deb-user if anyone was working on a program that
came with an rc5 or des challenge.  It think it was called lwatch.  It
keeps track of the system load, and if it goes above a certain level (say
1.5), it will put a process to sleep until the system load is below a
different level (say 0.2).  Maybe we should call it mega nice :-)  Anyway,
I think it's being packaged with some enhancements.  Once it is done,
maybe we should consider using it.

Question for an anacron expert (sorry, I don't use it myself):  can
anacron be fooled into thinking a job was last run at a time earlier than
it really was.  This could be used for resinking the weekly and monthly
jobs (since anacron would only be called daily and after a reboot, daily
jobs aren't a problem).

Sounds like cron might be getting a face lift :-)

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds