Re: Diety UI draft

> > > [...]   it would be nice to be able to distinguish between an
> > > obsolete package (where one or more superseeding packages are
> > > listed) and a depreciated package (which simply is not available).
> >
> > The problem being that I'm not sure how we could tell the difference.
>
> The presence, in a packages file, of either a newer version of
> the package or a package which superceeds the package should be
> required before a package may be considered obsolete.

Granted.  However, regarding deprecated packages:

> > The only way I can think of detecting a depricated package is that
> > if a package maintainer re-uploads the depricated package with
> > "depricated" in it's keyword list.  Do maintainers really want to
> > do that?

No.

Hmmmmm.... A package which is installed on the user's system but
which is not mentioned in a Packages file as either available
or replaced is deprecated, right?  It was once available, or
it wouldn't be installed.  It's now not available, or it would
be listed.  It hasn't been replaced, or that would be seen in the
Package file(s).  If the package is neither installed nor mentioned,
it is simply unavailable.  It may be deprecated, but there's no
way to see that.

(This is complicated by having several Packages files.  A package
which had moved from main to non-free would not be deprecated if
the Packages file from non-free is being considered, but would
be deprecated if the non-free Packages file is not being considered.
In either case, it might be obsoleted by a package in non-us if the
non-us Packages file is being considered.)

(actually, "replaces" in english is expressed by "Conflicts
_and_ Replaces" in package control files, or so I understand it.
"Replaces: x" in the control file of package y does not mean that
y replaces x unless y also says "Conflicts: x".)