Re: Should packages depend on cron?

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> 	If you do not have cron, the scripts don't get run. The only
>  space consumed is by the scripts themselves. I have 773 packages
>  installed. The total extra cron scripts is 45Kb. If this causes hard
>  drives to fill up, you are in far worse trouble.

That's not the problem.  The problem is that if the cron scripts don't
get run, the log files in /var/log don't get rotated and compressed,
so you eventually end up with humongous log files, especially if you
have some daemon that's being particularly verbose.

With the cron tasks, the current day's log gets compressed, a new log
gets started, and the oldest log get's killed (or something like
that).

--
Rob