Overwriting paths in binary files

After packaging ircii epic (hopefully I will upload when things have
settled down at my new job), I have become curious about the possibility
of 'stomping out' paths in binary files.  Ie, instead of doing a make,
doing a make install directly to debian/tmp, and then replacing the bad
paths in the binaries.

I would be interested to hear others opinions on this...  it is sort of an
ugly thing to do, but I think having to manually copy all the files is
ugly as well, and introduces the possibility for error.

So is there some obvious reason this should not be done?  Maybe it is not
very portable?

Thanks,

David Welton
davidw@efn.org  davidw@freenet.hut.fi  http://www.efn.org/~davidw
Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!
			 --Debian GNU/Linux--