Re: Debian and the Single UNIX Spec

kai@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen)  wrote on 08.07.97 in <[🔎] 6$T1BRdEcsB@khms.westfalen.de>:

> Well, once my CD-ROM of this (with book) arrives (which should be any day
> now), I'm gonna look it over. However, I don't expect policy problems.

Arrived today.

The FSSTND/FHS relevant part essentially defines /, /dev, /dev/console,
/dev/null, /dev/tty, and /tmp. No problem there that I can see. (Remember,
it works for NT, so it can't say too much in this respect.)

POSIX 7.2 packaging is explicitely mentioned. I've begun reading the
description, and it looks quite good, actually, but there doesn't seem to
be enough there to implement it - the descriptions of command parameters
and file formats seem to be missing completely, both from the book and
from the CD-ROM. Too bad.

One thing that (from first impressions) the POSIX sw* tools seem to have
that we miss is support for handling large systems built from lots of
small sets of files. They do this by having a hierarchy - at the bottom
are "file sets", which are grouped into "products", which are grouped into
"distributions". And there can be "bundles" and "subproducts" for
organizing them.

By the way, do we have a c89 executable? If not, why not?

I guess I'll be compiling a list of all Unix98 utilities mentioned on the
CD, so we can check which ones we're missing (and then discuss if that's a
problem).

Oh, btw, curses is definitely a part of Unix98.

MfG Kai