Re: Policy: font paths.

> >	Last night I installed some more type1 fonts on my
> >system and I had to manually configure both X and ghostscript.
> >Then I found on the net a little perl script to automatize that
> >and I tought: why doesnt the debian have a policy regarding fonts?
> >Why doesnt has a standard font installer/manager.
> >
> >	If someone is interested i can package the perl script
> >but that will not solve the problem of where to put fonts.
> >Maybe someone could write a font manager for debian...
> >
> >	Any ideas about that? Ciao!
>
> I second that.  I would have volunteered, but I didn't think of it. <g>
I think you can volunteer anyway, if you really want...

> Actual font installation for X11, teTeX, Groff, and everything
> else isn't difficult, provided that one keeps track of where all the various
> fonts systems are located.
>
> I would suggest taking advantage of the dialog utility so that non-X users can
> maintain their fonts, too.  It would be a good idea to have pre- and post-
> installation scripts for any .deb font libraries, because it would be
> necessary to determine what fonts are already present.  One would also need
> find out, somehow, the resolutions of the different display devices.
>
> As far as a "policy", I would say that any font which is publicly available
> is fair to be included in Debian.  Granted,  sometimes the origin of a font
> isn't obvious, nor what specific licensing arrangements apply.  For a
> start, I
> would say that any of the fonts in the X11R6, teTeX, Groff or ghostscript
> distributions have had their licensing agreements investigated and should
> be safe for inclusion.

I agree, but that does not resolve the question on where to put type1 fonts.
On my old Amiga I had PS version of cmr, etc.. in texmf, and other ps
fonts dispersed anywere on the system, depending on wich program installed
them... and I dont want to repeat that on my linux box.

I think metafont sources go well in texmf because only MF uses them, and
X bitmaps (non scalable fonts) stay well in /usr/X11R6/... but what
to do with PS? At now GS install in /usr/lib/ghostscript/.. and X in
X11R6. Other programs install in some subdirs of lib.

What about a sigle place like /usr/share/...? And leave in X11R6 only
the real X fonts?

Ciao.

* Federico Di Gregorio   |  /      the number you dialled is     *
* Debian developer!      | / -1   imaginary... please, rotate    *
* <friend of penguins>   |/      the phone PI/2 and try again!   *
****************DE 9E B2 75 B4 F6 CC 5B  C3 D5 71 51 04 AB F3 B2**