Re: Proposal: /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Nils Rennebarth wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Yann Dirson wrote:
> >Nils Rennebarth writes:
> > > Please read /path_to_kernel-2.1_source/Documentation/transname.txt
> >File read. Very interesting indeed.
> > > I then suggest to mount /usr and /etc from the central server.  /etc could
> > > overmount an existing /etc with a minimum of files in it needed while /usr
> > > is not reachable.
> >Yes, that might solve the problem for /etc. This may cause problems,
> >though, because it would make the /etc dir on the server writable to
> >all other systems...
> Better mount /etc readonly, and either centrally administer all etc's or
> create /etc/..#hostname=host_a#'s owned by a the administrator of host_a,
> that may be changed by him/her loggin onto the central server, by ssh,...

/etc is one of the first things you need when booting a Unix box, you
need it *way* before you mount /usr.  And before you can mount
anything at all.  /bin, /sbin, /dev and /etc (did I forget something?)
_must_ be on the root partition, which can't be mounted read-only for
various reasons.  You just can't do such things.

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows...  everything.