Re: PGP was: Re: debian-non-US mirrors (was Re: debmake)

Shaya Potter said:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Erik B. Andersen wrote:
>
> > So is somebody going to package up pgp 5.0 soon?
> >

> Well, who was our pgp maintainer. :-).   Even with that, it's not out yet,
> at least last I checked the pgp.com, and MIT homepages.

It's not out yet.

I've received one message so far that was signed with PGP 5.0.  It
isn't fully compatible with PGP 2.6.2 (PGP 2.6.2 couldn't even
recognize that it was a PGP message, let alone verify the signature.  I
knew it couldn't do the latter, since PGP 2.6 doesn't know SHA-1
hashing, but I'd have hoped it could recognize the message as a
message!), but it seems to work.  When I complained to my friend using
it that I was surprised he would switch to a mail method not compatable
yet with Unix (he's a bigger Unix geek than I am), he responded by
saying that he doesn't do email on anything -but- Unix, and would tell
me when PGP 5.0 for Unix became -publicly- available.

Still, the release of PGP 5.0 for Linux in the US doesn't mean that
someone can package it up.  We have to wait until the international PGP
community gets it working.

In the meantime, I'll install it in /usr/local.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our