Re: Little bit off topic...

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Erik B. Andersen wrote:

> > Hi,
> > 	sorry for being off topic but a friend asked me
> > that and I dont know where to get this information. The
> > question is:
> >
> > 	is there any problem running linux on a AMD K6 PC?
> >
> > Thanx,
> > 					Federico
>
> The 450 Bogomips of my AMD K6 200 (overclocked jut a bit) suggest
> that not only just it run, it runs very fast.

It was my understanding that the AMD K5 had the no-hlt bug, requiring a
kernel boot parameter to work properly (yuck!), but there's no reason to
suppose this exists for the K6, because the K6 uses a different core
(developed by NexGen).

But does the K6 have any *other* idiosyncrasies we don't know about?  Next
time I buy a computer (within the next 6 months), I'll probably go with the
K6.  Gotta support the loyal opposition.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |  Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is a
Purdue University                   |  growing closer.  It beats the hell out