Re: Debian Policy based on the wrong technical assumptions

 Thomas> A. Chatila wrote:
 >> IMO there should be a room in that policy for people concerned
 >> about security, and who don't want to run any webserver on their
 >> systems.

 Thomas> I agree.

 Thomas> Also, what happens when you go single user?  What if no
 Thomas> network is running since you've just hosed your networking
 Thomas> configuration?

 Thomas> Requiring a web server for reading documentation is overkill.

`Require' is a fairly strong word.  It isn't required, but allowing
the changes a web server would allow would make life easier and
smaller on a lot of people.  You can still

gunzip <some random file>.html
<web browser of choice> <that same file>.html

Nothing stops you from doing this it just means you have to search a
little more (which isn't all that different from the current
situation).

So spicing up the docs to deal _best_ with a web server in residence
doesn't seem to me to be all that much of a problem for the people who
will have a problem, and a big win for people who don't.  (well maybe
not a _big_ win but a nice one at least :)

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@dimensional.com> |  Blessed Be!
@    http://www.dimensional.com/~dres   |  Linux is cool!