Re: why are shared libs chmod +x? (again)

On Jun 27, David Frey wrote
> > The only reason I remember is that the shared libraries are
> > "executed", only not from the commandline, but within other binaries.
>
> This might be, but the linker doesn't care.
> (In Debian 1.1 we had the shared libraries 644, IIRC).

Stuff that you can't do a fork/exec on shouldn't be +x, IMNSHO. It's just
confusing otherwise. If someone really cares about shared libraries being
+x, speak now. Otherwise, I suggest we revert them to 644.

Is the policy editor reading this?

  Christian