Re: Bug: cross-device link

Galen Hazelwood <galenh@micron.net> writes:

> /lib/cpp has _always_ been a symlink to /usr/bin/cpp.  It has been that
> way for years.  And it's only _now_ causing a problem?  Have you never
> installed cpp or gcc before?
>
> Furthermore, symlinks are definitely allowed across devices.  It's hard
> links that aren't.  That can't be the problem.

Well, I don't understand what's going on, but here's what I think is
the same problem with ispell, ibritish, and iamerican.  At some point
ibritish calls update-alternatives which tries to rename
ispell-dictionary.hash.dpkg-tmp to ispell-dictionary.hash.  It fails.

If I cd to /etc/alternatives and try it manually as root:

clare# mv ispell-dictionary.hash.dpkg-tmp ispell-dictionary.hash
mv: cannot move `ispell-dictionary.hash.dpkg-tmp' across filesystems: Not a regular file
clare#

clare# ls -l i*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           29 Jun 21 12:20 ispell-dictionary.hash -> /usr/lib/ispell/american.hash
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           28 Jun 21 14:01 ispell-dictionary.hash.dpkg-tmp -> /usr/lib/ispell/british.hash

clare# df
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda1              15614    8938     5870     60%   /
/dev/hda4             256622  132644   110723     55%   /usr

It's probably something obvious, but I don't see it.
--
Rob