Re: Debian's mail daemons

Tim Cutts <tjrc1@mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> writes:

[snip]

> I am, for example,
> irritated that qmail's forwarding file is called .qmail.  What was the
> point of that?  Does changing the name from .forward to .qmail really
> improve security?

[snip]

> qmail does not understand anything but
> the most simple cases.

*This* is why the name was changed - because the syntax is different.
This may improve security because 1) mailing lists don't have the be
so careful with what they put in the file and 2) users unfamiliar with
both .forward and .qmail might be less likely to do something stupid
with .qmail.  I'm not so sure about (2) though.

And I bet it would be a pain switching 1000 users with shell accounts
to qmail.

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

       "Our mail program accidentally deleted our remove list."
						 - Real quote from UCE