Re: Debian's "Modify & Redistribute" Policy (was: the ncurses "brushfire")

From: Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com>
> That depends on how you look at it.
>
> If the author does not do significant maintenence or has abandoned the
> package then this is true.

What if the author doesn't want you to do ports? We have one case of
this already. We also have some cases of "author rudely dropped dead
without first changing the copyright".

> On the other hand, if the author is active, then forcing changes to go
> back through the orgininal author means that fixes and improvements don't
> get limited to a small subset of the user community.  In this way, the
> restriction actually _improves_ the overall quality of the product for
> everyone.

I think that feeding changes back to the author is a separate issue, and
one that we've already promised to do.

	Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502