Re: Env-varaibles

'=?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Ole?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgen?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?Tetlie=22?= wrote:'

>Hello,
>
>for SmallEiffel (which I am packaging) to work at all, it needs an
>env-variable to be set. Should it be set with a preinst-script? I
>wouldn't like that to happen to my system, but I don't see any other
>way, if it should be set at all. Should I just put a prominent note
>in /usr/doc/smalleiffel/README.debian saying that this variable must
>be set to use the package?
>
>I'm sure others have had the same problem! What's the standard way?

The upstream is broken.  It should choose a reasonable default for the
Env variable or notice its absence and advise the user on how to
proceed.  I vote for hacking the source and providing patches
upstream.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary