Re: cygwin.dll license (was Re: FreeQt ?)

Hi Jim,

> Imagine if Microsoft  demanded that everybody had to use a certain
> license in order to run on top of their operating system.

Well, they do actually.

Microsoft charges for the licences to use it's ``operating systems''.

If the Freeware community produces software that ends up helping closed
vendors sell their wares on closed OS's, then we might end up damaging our
cause.

That is presumably what is behind Cygnus' attempt to put some pressure on
developers to release their software as Freeware, by charging them if they
don't.

Unfortunately, this makes ``Debian GNU/Win32'' a rather complicated problem,
to which I don't know the answer.

As a Freeware bigot, I'm tempted to say ``sod them, they can't use our
software unless they GPL'', but that is a probably an unenforceable (and
somewhat childish) position, so what to do ?

Cheers, Phil.